Instrument purchase and rental

Here are some places I recommend for buying instruments. I feel it is best to buy locally. Although you might get a much lower price over the internet, I have had students get instruments of inferior quality or that have problems that they had to take to the local shop to be repaired. Establishing a relationship with a shop early on minimizes the hassle and allows you to bring the instrument to me for approval before paying for it.

Wilmington:

David Bromberg Fine Violins
(violins and cellos)

Philadelphia area:

Dane Anderson (cellos)
210 Yale Ave Swarthmore, PA
610-328-6448

David Michie Violins

Here are places you may rent string instruments. Please do not consider their rent-to-own programs. If you are going to rent, consider the money you put towards rental to be just that: rental. They overcharge for the instruments you buy with these plans, and I have found them to be of poor quality. I am also unsatisfied with their technicians, so you lose the benefit of having bought locally by needing to pay for repairs at a more qualified shop.

If you can buy, it is a much better deal. Dealers will always take back an instrument in trade, if you have purchased it from them. Also, I frequently have students selling smaller instruments. Accent Music and Music and Arts have an introductory rate rental for 3 months that is probably worth trying if you want to rent and don’t need a very small instrument, but after 3 months, I strongly suggest buying an instrument. Sometimes instruments from these places have been fine, others have been pretty bad. I have had some students who have gotten very good rentals from Teal Wintsch (who shares space in Bromberg’s shop – You may contact him at (410) 900-5466) and  Kot’s Violins in Bryn Mawr. Online, Johnson String Instruments, Robertson’s Violins and Potter’s Violins are reputable.